So, I am finally done with my top secret big "a" project.... DRAPES & VALANCES for the living room! I never thought this day would come... seriously, it took forever to complete this project!

So, I copied my drop cloth curtains from an earlier project... check out the basics of how to make drop-cloth curtains here. I did add a lot of fancy-shmancy additions to this version though....

I added valances, as well as a few different fabrics to use horizontally through the drapes. The horizontal lines draw your eye from my horizontal striped foyer & hallway (see here)... which I love.

Here are a few sketches that I did pre-project...
this map of measurements made shopping for fabric & drop cloths much easier...


Since I already gave a brief run-through of how to make the drapes... I am fast-forwarding to the valances...

Here are a few shots of the process of how I hung the valances.... I purchased 2x4's and had them cut to the necessary length for each window. I used small "L" brackets to hang the 2x4's.
here is the 2x4 resting on the "L" brackets. Another thing... notice the lovely rod... it was THE cheapest option at Bed Bath & Beyond... so they came home with me... after all, they will be covered! I also considered PVC pipe as a cheap option...
So, then I did this... I took the rectangle shape for the valance and gave it a 1 1/5" hem... and then I did something very fancy & upscale... I glue-gunned the drop cloth directly to the 2x4 while it hung... (yes, I know this was very dangerous of me, and slightly odd, but it adhered beautifully...)  I THEN decided to "trim as I went"... so, the edges are rough, but with a hit of the glue gun, nobody would ever know.
Here it is before I trimmed the excess fabric... 
Here is a reminder of how the living room looked pre-draperies...
and again..
and now... here is an image to show the great silk patterned fabric that I found, and the solid yellow is a soft linen.
and... ta-da!
ta-da again!
look at how the pattern from the drapes ties in so beautifully to my rug!

Whew! I never thought they would be complete! Hope you all have a great monday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top