Hello abode lovers and happy Wednesday! So, I have very exciting news- I am the proud owner of a fiddle leaf fig tree! I have been looking for one of these suckers for years now. My SuperMom called every nursery she could think of in the Birmingham area looking for one of these beauties 2 years ago for my birthday and had no luck. I have kept my eye out ever since... and then I got a text message from the one and only Katie Beth from The Good Stuff, she had spotted a pair at a local nursery. I almost peed my pants-- I then begged her to go with me to check them out on our lunch break....

Then things got weird. 

We ran over with another girlfriend from work-- I had called that morning and there were 3 trees, all around 6-8' tall. (In my head I'm all "go big or go home, I'm gettin' that 8' sucker!") We showed up 2 hours later, I walked in, saw an 8' fiddle leaf beauty and felt like it was a match made in heaven, then the sales lady came up to me and said, "oh that one's already sold." Just like that. 

Like it was nothing. 

"but we've got one more in the back..."

to which I replied, "ONE MORE!!?!?!? I just called and ya'll had THREE!!!"

to which SHE replied, "it was the craziest thing, we sold 2 within 10 minutes of each other RIGHT BEFORE YOU GOT HERE!"

I can only imagine the look of horror on my face -- my mind started racing... I started frantically telling her (again) that I had JUST called a few hours ago and these trees have been here for days. Surely this was some kind of sick joke... but it wasn't. It was as real, as real as when Britney Spears shaved her head... if not worse. 

I then went chasing after KB (who was already sprinting her way to the smaller fiddle leaf in the back of the shop) I was saying, "Katie Beth!!!!" (in a very dramatic tone) "SHE SAID IT WAS SOLD, I mean, it's SOLD, what the $#*%!!!??!!!" She was clearly not paying attention to me, she kept walking in a straight b-line to the fiddle leaf fig tree in the back that I had JUST convinced her that she needed  more than air. 

Then things got plain 'ole upsetting... 

Katie Beth finally realized what I was dribbling on about and looked very sad for me (as a good friend would do) and then it happened. "What, what happened!?! you ask... well, I turned into a freak. I wouldn't respond to KB when she asked me if I was sure that she should get this tree for her home or not. I told her I could no longer objectively give her advice. The evil streak in me was dying for the next best thing... the gorgeous 6' fiddle leaf that Katie Beth had her heart set on. 

I know. I'm a bad friend. You see... I'm a little overwhelmingly obsessive when I get my mind heart set on something. So, after speaking to the nice lady who worked there about what kind of sunlight these trees needed, Katie Beth backed out of getting the tree (she's much more of a planner and tends to make much better decisions with her money that I do)... So, with her new cold feet due to advice from the sales lady, she took a bow and opened up this baby for me to purchase. 

Then I was petrified that she would be mad at me-- probably because I would have been spittin' mad.... and because I'm a girl, but she wasn't. Good 'ole giving and gracious KB told me to buy it -- and that I had better keep it alive -- and that they had better be getting another shipment in soon--- 

So, now my fingers are crossed, big time. If they get in a super huge 7-8' tree, I'll snag one of those and hand over my 6' to Katie Beth... if not, it looks like I'll be trying to make it up to Katie Beth for the rest of my life... 

Mister Husband and I went and picked up the tree this weekend. I went to Target and got a huge white container for around $35 on clearance and filled it with a level of rocks, then soil, then planted this gorgeous heartbreaker. God I hope I don't kill it. 


It's beautiful, can you even imagine how incredible it will be as it grows TALLER-- (or if this one becomes KB's and I purchase a bigger heartbreaker!?!)



King is hiding under the coffee table for two reasons: #1 The Hunger Games is on my tv and I'm pretty sure it scares him to death and #2 because he understood what I was telling him when I told him NOT to eat the fiddle leaf leaves-- they're poisonous to dogs and children-- Just like those dang Hunger Games berries. Well, maybe not that instantaneous, but he is hiding none-the-less.


I know that I'm giving you a lot of beauty shots, but come on... it's a fiddle leaf fig tree. 



I'll keep all of you informed about my situation with Katie Beth and our heartbreaking, teasing little trees... Hopefully I'll have great news and KB and my friendship will be on the mend.... here's hoping! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top