Hello abode lovers and happy Wednesday! I have had a great week so far, packed full of work, spending time with Mister Husband and introducing new, sweet babies into the world! (One of my best and oldest friends welcomed a beautiful baby girl into the world yesterday!)

As for what's been going on around the abode... a lot. I have quite a list of projects that I need to share with all of you. I know there's been a bit of a drought from me lately of inspiring images- sorry about that! Maybe it's because it's summer and there's still a part of me that feels like I should be allowed to sit around and be lazy like when I was a kid!?!

Anyway, on to the project! Quite a while ago, General Dad came over and helped me with a little project that I've wanted to tackle for quite some time. As some of you long time followers know, my little living room used to be pretty sad....

See, I told you. 
I'm also not sure why we're so pixelated, sorry about that! 


That's Mister Husband and I before I even lived in the abode! (Back when it was a Mister Pad) The shutters over the fireplace came with the abode when we moved in they were just not our style and they didn't function well at all. For a million reasons, those skank suckers had to go....

Which leads us to this gorgeous view. Wow. Not much better, right!?!


Most of you will probably recognize this photo taken almost a year ago... General Dad came over and helped Mister Husband and I with filling in that skank hole in the wall and covering it so that we could hang our tv on the wall. We left an opening for those pesky components that I wish didn't exist altogether... But I think it looks great, especially from where we started!


Then Mister Hubbs and I ran into a problem. The tv just stopped working one day. I mean, mid-show. I was none to happy... it was time for a new tv. I was also NEVER a fan of the tv that we had in the first place. I HATED those dang speakers that hung off either side of the tv. It makes our tv look like Dumbo, no offense to Dumbo. Mister Husband purchased that tv pre-marriage... so I didn't have much of a say. Anyway, before football season started (I know, that's a LONG time ago), we forked out the cash for a new tv and we LOVE it. It's got a super thin frame and is really light. It looks so much more streamlined in the space thank goodness.

And now for those pesky components. I still wasn't too fond of being able to see all the components... so I put my thinking cap on, for a while. I talked a lot with General Dad about how to cover up the space for the components and came up with a great solution for our space. Below you can see that we took off the decorative trim that was covering the rough edges between the wall and the component box.


Once we took off the frame, we applied decorative sheet metal (that I found at Lowes for $25) with gorilla glue to the back side of the frame. General Dad cut the frame in a super fancy way so that the metal would sit inside a thin channel on the backside of the frame so that when it was hung on the wall, it would be flush against the wall.


We then took high powered magnets and wanted to place them on the wall, as well as on the back of the frame sot that we could take off our custom screen whenever we wanted to pop in a movie or adjust our components. General Dad is seen below drilling the perfect hole for the magnet to sit inside so that the entire frame would be flush with the wall. 


AND.... ta-da!


I thought seriously about spraying the screen gold, or maybe even black, but I like the look of the silver screen next to the silver urns that flank the tv.


So what do you think?



Anyone else hate their components hanging out like a floozy? Mine are nicely tucked away behind a privacy screen, but I would LOVE to know if any of you abode lovers have had a similar issue and tackled it another way. I hope all of you have a wonderful hump day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top